If you’ve been keeping up current events, you might have already seen the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) terror group executed another American citizen. What I don’t understand is that the American government has access to the best technology in order spy on its own citizens here in America. So, you want me to believe that no one in our government can’t or doesn’t know how to find this terror group? You can miss me with that shit. I refuse to believe that.
If I were the President of the United States, I would allow congress to spend copious amounts of money on finding this group WITHOUT putting groups on the ground. If I told my troops, to their face, that I would not commit them to another ground war in Iraq, I would firmly stand by my word. As far as I’ve seen the America public is split about this issue. Additionally, what sense does it make to commit troops to another war when you’re telling the Department of Defense that we need a reduction in our force?
I’m willing to bet that the majority of the American public only knows ISIS for a terror group. That is true, but they’re more than just a terror group. Here are some fun facts about this terror group:
• Who They Are: ISIS stands for Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, also known as the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL). The group is trying to form an independent state with territory in Iraq, Syria, and parts of Lebanon. They are led by an Iraqi cleric who goes by the name Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.
• What They Do: ISIS has been fighting against Syrian President Bashar al-Assad as well as other militant Islamic groups in Syria for control of parts of Syria while also fighting the Iraqi government in its quest to form the unified ISIS state. Its brutal tactics have been disavowed as too extreme by al Qaeda’s leader Ayman al-Zawahiri.
• How Powerful They Are: ISIS forces took Mosul, the third biggest city in Iraq and the biggest one along the Iraq-Syria border. When they took the city, the ISIS seized more than $400 million from city banks, making it richer than many small nations. According to the Associated Press ISIS has also taken effective control of Tikrit, where Saddam Hussein was born.
• How They’re Able to Fight: Since it controls cities on either side of the Syria-Iraq border, ISIS forces were able to quickly move weapons seized from Mosul into Syria. The weapons, including Humvees, rifles, missiles and ammunition, will help arm ISIS in its fights on both sides of the border.
• The State They Want to Create: The territory in the western part of Iraq that ISIS wants is made up of mostly Sunni Muslims, as is the part of Syria that ISIS wants. Many Sunni Muslims in Iraq have joined ISIS in fighting against the Iraqi Army, which is under the control of a Shiite minority that mainly lives on the other side of the country.
There’s A TON more information, but I gave you the abridged version so you wouldn’t get bored.
If you’ve ever served in the United States military and have ever been deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan, you know how serious Muslims are about their religion. I AM NOT CALLING ALL MUSLIMS TERRORISTS! When I speak of Muslims in this post I am speaking about the Radical Islamists. Now add a dose of ridiculous ideals to what they already believe and that only intensifies their cause.
I would like to go into more detail, but I will do that at another time. I just wanted us REGULAR folks to know the basics of exactly what our government is attempting to disassemble.