In today’s Blog Post I will let you all know about me. I know a lot of you are reading this like, uh, we already know who you are. In a way you do and no you don’t. I will hold nothing back. Some people would advise against it, my question is, Why? I don’t think it’s fair to you that follow my Blog. I will list 5 random questions and truthfully answer them. Even if it exposes a weakness or embarrasses me. There’s a lot behind the man named Jared J. Gober. Where did this come from, out of nowhere? from left-field? In music an artist will pour their soul into their music, so why can’t that be done with something that I am passionate about? I’m taking this page from a good friend. Let’s get started.
1. What are your nicknames? What do you prefer to be called? Okay, to answer this question I will give you my nickname while growing up and go from there. While growing up, my family called me JJ. Why? I shouldn’t have to answer that question for you, but I will. My name I was given at birth is Jared Jerod Gober, NO, I don’t have the same first and middle name. It’s Jared Jerod (pronounced Jer-Rod). Once I got to high school, my close friends called me Goober. Self explanatory. The friends that I keep in contact from high school still call me that. I prefer to be called Jared or Gober, because of being in the military. When I am at home and around family, they call me JJ, but I hate for my wife to call me that. Seriously I have no idea why it bothers me. I just don’t like to hear her say it, well I guess she is doing it to get on my nerves. Usually, she calls me Papi, which I think is awesome. Why? Who wouldn’t want to be called Papi; so masculine!! I call her Mami. If she calls me by my first name, I know that I did something wrong, but back to the question at hand. I prefer to be called Jared, that’s good enough.
2. What scares me the most? Why? First off, the thing that I am most scared of is losing my family. The reason why is because growing up, I didn’t have two parents in the household. It was just my mother. I had family (Aunts, Uncles, Grandparents) that had a big part of making me the man I am today, but I always said that when I was blessed to start a family, that I would do it right. I’m not saying or trying to say that a single parent home is wrong, all I am saying is that I made a promise to myself while growing up that when the good Lord blessed me with a wife that I would do whatever it took to make my family stay together. Yes, we have had some times where I thought all was lost, but I did what I had to do to make it work. Another thing that I’m scared of is scary movies. Yep, I said it. I don’t like them. The reason is because, when I was 3 or 4, every time the Michael Jackson “Thriller” video came on, my father would turn the volume all the way up and force me to watch it. I can watch it now, but I would prefer not to watch scary movies. One more thing that I am scared of is Debt. I hate owing people money. I know that’s apart of being an adult, but until you have a title to a car, a deed to a house, solar panels on your house so you’re off the grid, you will always owe people money. That’s a fear that I have to work through every single day.
3. Am I more likely to avoid conflict or engage it head-on?I hate conflict, but I won’t back down from it. Especially when it involves my wife or my girls. I don’t go out looking for conflict, but a lot of people take advantage of that because of my character and the way I carry myself. I’m a pretty quiet person. When it’s time to be loud I can be loud. All conflict does for me is stress me out. It doesn’t matter how small or large it may be, if there isn’t a resolution at the end of all the yelling, fighting, etc. it stays on my mind. Which is unhealthy for a mind that is already filled with important things that is already stressing me out.
4. When was the last time you really pushed yourself to your physical limits? Truthfully, the last time I really pushed myself to my physical limits was 24 April 2010. Why? Because on 25 April 2010, an event that I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy, well maybe Auburn Fans, just kidding, changed my life. Some of you already know what that event is. The Vehicle I was riding in was struck by an Improvised Explosive Device (IED). Right now, it’s very hard to push myself to my physical limits, due to injuries that I am still recovering from. A lot of people don’t realize, I’m walking and somewhat healthy that injuries shouldn’t be an excuse. I used to think the same way, until it happened to me. Not only are you dealing with physical injuries, you have mental ones as well, but back to the question, it’s been a minute since I have done that. I do what I can until stuff starts to hurt, which I’m told I shouldn’t do that because I am not helping my body do it’s job. I have 2 girls that want to play sports and they want Dad to teach them. I didn’t have that growing up so I will push myself as hard as I can or until it breaks; I have to push myself for my family. I live every single day for them.
5. If you could restore one broken relationship, which would it be? I will do my best to honsetly answer this question. A broken relationship that I wish I could restore, truthfully, would be my relationship with my father. My parents divorced when I was 8. The next time I saw my Father was when I was 12; the next time I saw him, I was 16; I didn’t see him again until I had joined the Army and was stationed at Fort Bragg, North Carolina. He is from North Carolina, so of course, I wanted to see my family in North Carolina. I saw him a couple of times, because at this point he was driving trucks cross country. The last memory I have of seeing him while stationed at Fort Bragg, was the weekend before I was getting ready to deploy. It had to be around October 7th or 8th, 2001, because we deployed on the 10th. He came out of nowhere. It was crazy, I’m getting ready for bed and I get a knock at my door. I was like who the hell is that. At this time I had my girl that was my friend laying in the same bed with me, innocent, I swear. She went to the door, looked through the peephole and said it’s a man and a lady. I said, who is it? She replied I don’t know. I looked through the peephole and said, this exact statement, “No Fucking Way.” The girl that was my friend said what’s wrong, I said, I think that’s my Father. I opened the door and it was him. We went out to dinner, talked and caught up on things. I explained to him that I was deploying, but he didn’t believe me. He believed me when he went to my room the next weekend and no one came to the door. I’ve tried to repair this relationship, but I’m the only one that is working at it. For me to repair it, I wanted him to tell me why he used to hit my mother, why he left and why he would always promise me he would come and visit, but would never show? He would always want to change the subject. Every time he asks me if there is anything I want to ask him, I ask those same questions, but never get an answer. Yeah, I could let it go and move forward, but why give him that pleasure? He put me through hell, which to this day I still hurt from, so why give him that joy? Truthfully, I don’t think he deserves it.
I know 5 questions doesn’t give you an outlook on the whole me, but it’s a start. I will continue this sometime in the future. I’ll write down 5 questions and truthfully answer them. I’ll continue to do it until you all know all about what makes Jared J. Gober. I hope that this is able to help someone out there. Maybe, ask themselves those same questions and truthfully answer them. If you have questions you would like to ask me, put them in the comment section and the next time I post about myself I will answer them.